Holy Week: Wednesday

Isaiah 50:4-9 is a beautiful example of how we are to be good servants of the Lord. Woven into the passage are warning, instruction and hope. If we listen to the Lord, He will teach us how to use our gifts (in this case, a well-trained tongue that can uplift the weary). But, invariably, when we are using our gifts to glorify God, we will be ridiculed and possibly even attacked. How are we to react to this? By standing strong, not turning away from God; by not seeking revenge; and by peacefully accepting the “consequence” of fulfilling His will without regard for ourselves.

In return for our faithfulness in honouring Him and the gifts He supplies, He will provide the vindication our flesh may want to seek for ourselves.

Let’s Pray: Lord, help me to acknowledge the gifts you have provided that are uniquely mine, and help me to share those gifts to Your Glory. Help me never to place my own well-being before You. Grant me the grace to understand that, while living in the spirit goes against every fiber of my flesh, it is no less than Jesus did, even unto death on a cross. Thank You for Your sacrifice that purchased for Me the ultimate gift of everlasting life.

The Lord GOD has given me
a well-trained tongue,
That I might know how to speak to the weary
a word that will rouse them.
Morning after morning
he opens my ear that I may hear;
And I have not rebelled,
have not turned back.
I gave my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who plucked my beard;
My face I did not shield
from buffets and spitting.

The Lord GOD is my help,
therefore I am not disgraced;
I have set my face like flint,
knowing that I shall not be put to shame.
He is near who upholds my right;
if anyone wishes to oppose me,
let us appear together.
Who disputes my right?
Let him confront me.
See, the Lord GOD is my help;
who will prove me wrong?

0 comments:

Post a Comment