Title Spotlight:: Yesterday's Promise by Delia Latham


“I can’t believe you, of all people, can get that look on your face because I have a son without the benefit of a husband. At least I’m there for my son, and I will be as long as God allows me to walk this earth. I would never, under any circumstances, never abandon someone I love. Never.  It’s right there.” She pointed a trembling finger at Lissy's house and fumbled for the handle as Brock swung the car to the curb.

By the time he brought the vehicle to a full stop, she had the door open and one foot outside the car. Tears burned her eyes, but she refused to let them fall.

“Hannah, I…” Brock’s bewildered expression almost passed for convincing. “I’m sorry, really. I didn’t mean…”

“Lissy will take us home.” She ignored his apology, then slammed the car door and marched up the sidewalk, head high, back ramrod stiff.

Davey flew out the door to meet her, his dark curls bouncing. “Mommy! Mommy, I missed-ed you!”

Hannah picked him up, hugging him to her. “Hey, big guy! I missed-ed you too.” She rarely encouraged his mispronunciation of words, but at the moment she wanted Davey to stay little for a very long time.

“Who’s that man, Mommy?” One arm around Hannah’s neck, her son pointed to the car where Brock sat watching them. “Huh? Who is he?”

“Nobody, Davey.” She set the small boy on his feet. Taking his hand, she led him to Lissy's door. Behind her, she heard the BMW pull away, but she refused to look back.

Only your daddy, sweet boy. He’s only your daddy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment