Summer Break


I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. ---1 Corinthians 7:7

Do you enjoy hot coffee in the morning? I do, in fact I often bribe myself with the hot beverage to get myself out of bed on a cold winter day. I’m sipping a fresh cup now as I write this, feeling the warmth flow through me. But what about those hot summer dawns, when the last thing one wants is to pour something hot? Isn’t iced coffee a great substitute? Just add a cup of ice to coffee brewed a bit stronger, and I'm all set. The same is true with tea. By the time autumn rolls around, I'll be ready for that piping hot brew again.

Do you ever feel that way with what's in your TBR (to be read) pile? Your reading life can be refreshed when you aren't in the mood for your usual fare. If you are spending too much time reading romance or mystery novels, put them on ice for a while. Use the summer days to read your Bible or some meaningful devotionals. Try an inspirational action or historical novel. Try an author new to you.

Use the days to seek out your spiritual gifts--maybe try your hand at writing something this summer. Or have a cup of iced coffee and rifle through a catalog of gift books. Later, when you're refreshed mentally, physically and spiritually, seek out your favorite reading again. It will seem new and fresh.

So what will you be reading, and drinking, this summer?

5 comments:

  1. Great post! You're right, changing the types of books you read can be refreshing. I do this every once and a while for my devotions & quiet time. It helps me stay more focused.

    I love summer and the chance to enjoy spending more time with my family & outdoors. Because of that-- I don't read as many "fun" books as usual. But that's OK-- it gives me something to look forward to in the fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny---some folks find more reading time in summer, some less. Have fun with your family : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. I think I must be an odd ball with less reading in the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a Kindle for Mom's day and haven't read this much in years. Of course a lot of it is the "new toy" thing but I have read some great stuff so far. All Western or cowboy themes LOL. I have some great White Roses coming up including Delia's.

    ReplyDelete