Byte Sized Bible Devotionals: Old & New

This year, I made a plan to explore more of my relationship with God, comment with occasional posts, make quilts, and continue to edit so many of our wonderful authors. I thought I might ask some of those authors−and you−to add something of their journey here, too. If we spend time communing with our Creator and sharing His Word, we are not only edifying ourselves, but helping others to learn about our Awesome God. So I went back to an old devotional I posted in my journal and decided to share it with our readers.

****

Technically, this is not the first quilt of the new year. But in keeping with the out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new mentality, I suppose it’s a fitting metaphor for my past year's struggles and the hope that a new year always brings.

[BillsQuilt.JPG]



I make these utilitarian quilts from old jeans, chinos and khakis. I take something old and make it new and useful again. This quilt went to a neighbor who travels a lot. I told him he could use the quilt to keep warm if he gets stranded, for traction if he gets stuck, and to give away on the road if he comes across someone who needs it more than he does. The gift is meant to exceed its usefulness and comes with no strings attached.

And you, when you were dead in your offenses, and sins, Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of this air, of the spirit that now worketh on the children of unbelief: In which also we all conversed in time past, in the desires of our flesh, fulfilling the will of the flesh and of our thoughts, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest: But God, (who is rich in mercy,) for his exceeding charity wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together in Christ, (by whose grace you are saved,) ~ Ephesians 2:1-5

God does the same thing with us, His children. He takes our old, tired, worn out spirits and He allows us to be born again as a new, useful member of His Kingdom. We can use the gift of our redemption to help ourselves to grow in faith if we get stuck, or we can pass it on by example and testimony to someone who needs it. It is a gift that we simply ask for and we will receive, no strings attached, and a gift that is everlasting.

Please share your faith testimony in the comments. I'm looking forward to growing with you in His grace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment