We're Celebrating

Another year has past...can you believe it? October first marks our 3rd milestone. Come celebrate with us. Shop October 1st, 2nd and 3rd using code Anniversary2012 and receive 50% off every eBook in stock.

What a way to begin a blog post, right? Well, there are exciting things happening at PBG, and I'm, well...excited to share our many blessings. On this third anniversary of Pelican Ventures acquiring White Rose Publishing, we're getting ready to announce the winners of the Fall PreView giveaway, and this week our Fall books hit store shelves everywhere. DEVOTION by Marianne Evans and WISDOM TREE by Mary Manners are two must-reads! You may think I'm being biased in saying that, since I am editor-in-chief, and I do say it about many of our books...OK, all our books (I can't help it. I must be honest, and we publish some awesome authors.); but trust me, these books are keepers. Check them out.

What else is happening? What, two books in stores and 50% off all eBooks isn't enough for one week? :) Well, I'm itching to tell you about our Watershed Books launch titles, but I'm going to hold off on that for now. (Our YA line will debut on our next anniversay: Oct 2013). I don't want to ruin the surprise. For now, let's just celebrate the wonders of God and the beautiful blessings He's bestowed on us. 

Yesterday at church, we listened to a reading from Mark's gospel where Jesus says to the Twelve "There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us." (Mark 9:39-40) The Apostles were a little put out because "someone else" was baptising people in Jesus' name. While the meaning of this event and the surrounding Scripture, in context, have a vast and awesome meaning, something personal struck me with these words of Jesus: Being for Jesus is what PBG is all about. Our publishing deeds may not be mighty--or they might be, who knows?--but while all involved strive to promote the Gospel and to glorify God, we avoid "speaking ill" of Him--even if that "ill" is just a self-centered, depressed grumble. Our authors, from writing that first draft to polishing a final edit or rechecking a galley, are working for Jesus. Our editors, from evaluating a submission to editing a contracted manuscript--to composing a resubmission or rejection letter--are working for Jesus. Our readers, who may pick up one of our titles solely for entertainment purposes, are for a time, emersed in Jesus. And when we are with Him, when we are for Him, we are not against Him. This is what I love about this company. The business of books is, let's face it, in the short run, insignificant. But when we place that insignificant offering in His hands, for His purpose, it becomes infinitely...more.

When we are for Him, His blessings flow with abundance. Will there be hardship, opposition, failure, grief? Absolutely! Life is life. But the beauty of spending hours with Christ while we write, and edit, and read, is a gift beyond price, and yet still only a fraction of the beauty that awaits us.

As we celebrate another year of Christ's blessings on PBG, my hope for you is that you see Him today in all you do, in those with whom you interact, in the mundane and the fantastic. Be for Jesus today, because He is for us...and if God is with us, who can be against us?

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Nicola! And...Happy Anniversary, PBG! I'm honored and excited to be a part of this company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Delia... I'm honored to be a part of this company, too. And many thanks to you, Nicola, for giving the kind of leadership that sets it apart from the ordinary. I am looking forward to extraordinary times with some of the most wonderfully gifted people in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delia, Lilly: You are each one of those blessings I spoke about. So talented and so supportive. Thanks so much, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicola, this post is a must read for ANY Christian book lover, book seller, author or publisher. In this post, you've neatly crafted the words and emotions I carry in my own heart. God bless you always, and all I can say is THANK YOU - for your talent, your unfailing energy and support, and your Christ-like light. You're awesome, and I'm so blessed to work with you, and the other authors at WRP and PBG who have truly become an extended family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Marianne. Right back atcha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your anniversary! I'm glad I found White Rose and Pelican! I've enjoyed several books now, one on order, and will have to go take advantage of this 50% offer.

    Thanks!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting, Susan. And thanks for reading our titles. I'm so pleased to know you're enjoying the reads. God bless.

    ReplyDelete